Saturday, February 7, 2009

I am secondary aborter? WTF!

I have to say I do not like the terminology used when "medically" talking about miscarriage. Why does it all have to be about abortion, missed abortion, incomplete abortion, threatened abortion...

Couldn't they have been a little more sensitive...

I have been doing a lot of research on the topic of recurrent miscarriages and it turns out I am what is deemed a "secondary aborter". Wow what a title. It means that although I had one successful pregnancy, my body miscarries the new pregnancies...I mean they don't know what causes it but they have one hell of a name for it.

And while were on the subject, what the deal with "Pregnancy Loss". The phrases "she lost the pregnancy" or "she lost the baby" really piss me off. To me the word "lost" implies some type of responsibility. When you usually lose something, it is because of your own careless or forgetfulness. When I lost my keys it was my fault because I forgot where I put them. To say that I lost the pregnancies, it is just wrong! They were NOT "lost" they were taken away. For what reasons I will probably never know. But pregnancies are not capable of being lost, because that would assume that we have some sort of control over them. And those of us in the recurrent miscarriage club know that this is something that is definitely not in our control.

2 comments:

Tracy said...

I hate that term as well. Its a horrible way to describe a miscarriage.

And, you're right. Its certainly NOT in our control. If it was, I'm pretty sure none of us would choose this path.

A said...

I just found your blog and I completely agree. I am a "habitual abortor" as if I don't have anything else to do with my time than "lose pregnancies".